2006/03/22

Your Goodness Passes Before Me

I read the familiar passage in Exodus this morning where Moses asks God to show him His glory.
18 Moses said, “Please show me your glory.” 19 And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The Lord.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.” 21 And the Lord said, “Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock, 22 and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but my face shall not be seen.”
I have often read this and envied Moses. I have prayed, "O God, show me Your glory. Let Your goodness pass before my eyes." God answered my prayer powerfully today. Also in my Bible reading today was John 12 when Jesus goes to Jerusalem (His triumphal entry) and people are saying Hosanna! While I'm reading this I realize that I am watching the Goodness of God pass before my eyes. I saw the good plan unfolding as Jesus, the glorious One, is getting ready for the hour of His crucifixion. I saw the Good One - the perfect One marching on toward Calvary. I hide in the Rock of Ages cleft for me today. I behold what Moses could not: the culmination of the goodness of God expressed in the death of His Perfect Son in order to save a rebellious people for His glory, and then make them objects of His mercy and grace over and over and over again.

3 comments:

Zoanna said...

Wouldn't it flatten us to our faces if we actually saw God's face? I would find it a great honor just to see His back like Moses did. How wonderful that we can experience His good presence without seeing Hiss face.

Sacha said...

When Moses came down from the Mt. the Bible says the his face radiated. I think that this is true for us today too...maybe not in the same way, but we reflect God as well. When people look at us, as Christians, they see something different in us. This is Christ! I love how the OT parrallels the NT and modern day!

Anonymous said...

Great post, Laurie, and I love your comment, Sacha. Oh that we may radiate the goodness of Christ everyday!