2006/03/25

Because Dad Says It So Much Better...

My Dad left a comment on my last post that I found so edifying, I'm posting it. It was actually through a series on the Sovereignty of God that my Dad taught years ago that I heard for the first time that grace does not equal easy. My Dad is the author of that phrase, not me. He expounds on it by saying
I realized that the older a man gets the greater the temptation to shift his ambition to seeking his own comfort and ease above all else. What a tragic way to end one's life - seeking one's comfort rather than God's glory. What a tragic epitath to one's life: "He lived by God's grace for his comfort," rather than "He lived By God's grace for God's glory." May all of who call upon the name of the Lord not be entangled by the "Grace = Easy" snare and finish with Paul's words on our lips: "2 Tim. 4:7-8 (ESV) I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. [8] Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing."
We may not be older men...ever...but still, is it not true that even as moms we face daily temptation to desire comfort and ease, rather than glorify God through the hard work He has called us to? Thanks Dad. Your voice comes through in so many of my "spiritual" posts. You have been a faithful teacher of God's Word not just in the pulpit, but in ordinary life as well. I love you

5 comments:

Zoanna said...

Well said, by both of you. I agree, Laurie, that your dad should have a blog, but not because he says anything more profound than you do. He just has a different set of profundities, from an older (and male) perspective. I appreciate your exchange of sweet "I love you"s. I, too, have a dad who is growing older with even more of a fixation on his Savior than on his own comfort. What a blessing! To see my dad get excited in the pulpit over people's lives changed by Christ, to see tears well up in his eyes over the persecuted church...I hope my children witness Paul and me living for God's glory and not our comfort.

Kristin said...

I too was very challenged by not living my life for my comfort, but for God's glory. I was rereading notes from a message given a couple years ago, and your dad said something similar. He said that in our culture, we pray for God to take away the burdens in our lives. In third world countries, they pray for the grace to carry the burdens. What a difference in perspective.

Thank you for challenging us with your posts! :)

peg said...

thank you and your dad for the wise words and timely reminder! the fruit of your dad (and mom's) ministry is clearly evident in your life, Laurie! we're so grateful for their investment in our lives too, and hope to be like them when we 'grow up'!! :)

Nicole Seitler said...

Oh, it's so refreshing to read your dad's quote. I feel so well cared for at Chesapeake.

Abby Cannon said...

This truly came in handy for me today as I woke up with my first thought about me and what felt comfortable to me. Somthing your dad said on Sunday truly blessed me also. He said, "God chooses how we can bring Him glory". And this mindset will help me to live each day pressing forward and not inward so that I can bring my Lord glory through the mundane tasks and time behind closed doors where I enjoy my little ones who still love to snuggle with their mama.

I don't want to live for my own comfort, but I want to live with a perspective that is definitely not natural to me-God's. When I view life through His lens of sovereignty and goodness on my life, my daily response to things that come my way can be to choose His Kingdom, and not my own.

Thank your for reminding me of the power of GRACE!!!!
(sorry for the "mini-blog". I was feeling passionate about what I was sharing) ;)