2006/03/11

In Honor of a Stranger

Virginia Lee Green Born June 27, 1934 Died Tuesday, March 7, 2006 I never met Virginia Green. And though this is true, I am profoundly grateful for the impact of her life on mine. At the risk of over-using the familiar metaphor, one ripple resulting from the pebble named Virginia Green dropping into the pond of Baltimore, Maryland has touched my life. That ripple is my good friend Karen Hevesy. Her mom, Mrs. Green, left this earth last week, not as a result of the cancer she was diagnosed with, but due to complications that her weakened body was unable to recover from. Jim, Karen's husband is our church administrator, so we enjoy not only a ministry-relationship, but a friendship as well - cultivated through care group, retreats, and hangin' out. I am sure I speak on behalf of the rest of the staff and their wives when I say that our team is very blessed to have the Hevesys. They bring something unique to the group...an amazing sense of humor. Jim is often Karen's straight man. It's Karen who keeps us in stitches. We can't get through a caregroup without sore sides from laughing at Karen's antics. Our favorite form of humor is her stories. Karen views life from a different angle. She can find humor in anything: a little boy in a brown polyester leisure suit, pool problems, her husband's injuries, Christmas parties (one is blogged about, the other stays amongst the staff). You name it, Karen has a funny story about it. This truly is a ministry. Karen helps us not take ourselves too seriously, and in the midst of certain aspects of ministry - this is very helpful! Even though Karen is funny, she knows when to be serious. Many times in accountability I, or someone else, will be sharing about an area, trying to get clarity, and Karen will just say one or two sentences that are so prophetic and laser accurate, it's amazing. She is funny, but she is also wise. Her humor is the result of being an acute observer of life which can also result in much wisdom. I don't know how much of Karen's personality, gifts, and graces come from Mrs. Green, but I know from Karen that humor was a part of their family culture. I am grateful for this lady I have never met because her impact on her youngest daughter in some way has enriched my life. Thank you, Karen, also for the example you have been in laying down your life for another. You have honored your mother by serving tirelessly these last months, and you have done it with joy. I am grateful for you, friend. Please know I am praying. If you have any connection with Karen through her blog you can leave condolences there or here and I'll be sure to get them to her. To those of you from Chesapeake, thank you for overwhelming the Hevesys with your prayers and support. Please keep praying.

4 comments:

Karen Hevesy said...

Laurie, I am overwhelmed. Just when you think you can't cry one more tear, I'm surprised how easily they flow again. Thank you for for this gift. Jason's handling of my mother's funeral was more than we could have ever hoped for. She has received the honor and proper goodbye she deserves, she would hate it! I wish you had known her. She will be greatly missed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Laurie.

Karen, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. We will be praying for you and your family. Thanks for being a great example in the way you cared for her; I'm sure that blessed her.

Zoanna said...

Karen, I also wish I had met your mom. You must've given her a rich life of love and laughter. I'll leave more thoughts on your blog. I know you said it makes you sad to even look at it, but perhaps reading friends' words will cheer you. It's hard to even think about Karen Hevesy needing to be cheered--you're always cheering others, but I know the tears are flowing like Niagara when no one's around.

Zoanna said...

Well, I changed my mind about leaving these words at your blog since I wasn't sure where to do so... so I'll leave them here.

Your mom and mine gave birth to us on the same day--a few hours and a few miles apart in Baltimore, so in that way I feel a sense of connection to her and will always remember your loss on my own birthday. I laughed at the funeral home--yes, you were still cracking me up there--when you covered your son's ears to tell us about 82 year old Uncle M wanting "something" once a month from a woman in her 50'. I think your mom would've chuckled, too-- and probably added to your comments? And you had run into an old friend a day or two after your mom died, and you wanted to pick up the phone and call your mom and say, "Hey, guess who I saw?" What a great relationship that you could share with your mom that you would want to tell her those little things in life.

Your devotion to her these last months--with a noticeable hole in your blogging--speaks volumes. Thank you for modeling Christ in all your doctor/hospital visits.

I really think Jesus had way more of a sense of humor than we think about, and I'm sure he kept the disciples laughing as they fished and walked together and attended synagogue. I'm glad He gave more of the Green Genes the funny bone to help the rest of us not take ourselves so seriously. We will miss your mom, and look forward to more stories when you're up to telling them.