2006/03/24

Grace = Easy?

When one of my boys was in kindergarten he was having trouble with a Math concept. After working for a while we were both frustrated, so I finally remembered to pray and ask God for help. We continued to work on the concept, and after a few minutes my son says, "Maybe God isn't helping me because He's resting right now." I answered him, "Sometimes the way God helps us is to help us work harder." I need to take my own counsel. Somehow I think that grace means my life will feel easy. Sometimes this does happen. I mount with wings as eagles. I run and do not grow weary. But there are times when grace comes in the form of obstacles, perseverence, and really hard work...that I feel every bit of. This week is one of those weeks. I have so much to do, and God poured out grace upon grace - but I am exhausted and tempted to think that today - God must be resting. The "gas tank" of energy is empty, and I am hoping for those magical wings to pick me up off of this chair and get me into the kitchen to clean! No, God isn't resting. In His sovereign activity in my life He decided that grace would look like, and feel like hard work this week. May I say with Paul, "it is God who works in me, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.(Phil 2 :13) and that I am "...struggling with all His energy that he powerfully works within me." (Col 1:29) God, please give me the grace to have the will and the capacity to work for your good pleasure. As I struggle through this day, help me to do so with your energy that powerfully works within me.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Thank you for these reminders, I find your blog very encouraging! I have had weeks like that myself recently. I can tempted to fall back into self-sufficency instead of turning to the Lord & his grace that is always available.

Zoanna said...

Funny you should write on this topic. It's been on the front burner here, too, in my mind. Perseverence is the theme God has been speaking to me. And just today I was thanking God that He never takes a nap; He is the only one who doesn't need rest. He chose to rest (to make a sabbath) as an example for us, not because HE needed it, but because WE do. I just tend to forget that He said "for 6 days shall you labor." My Western (and lazy) mind thinks 6 = 5. (I've never been good at math.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie,

Excellent insight! I can identify with the false equation: Grace = Easy. Far too often I find myself wanting My Savior's blood-bought grace to make my life easier for me rather than to make my life more fruitful for His glory. Dave Harvey said something last Sunday that stuck with me. He said that a man's ambition can shift to one of seeking his own comfort and ease. That hit me. I realized that the older a man gets the greater the temptation to shift his ambition to seeking his own comfort and ease above all else. What a tragic way to end one's life - seeking one's comfort rather than God's glory. What a tragic epitath to one's life: "He lived by God's grace for his comfort," rather than "He lived By God's grace for God's glory." May all of who call upon the name of the Lord not be entangled by the "Grace = Easy" snare and finish with Paul's words on our lips: "2 Tim. 4:7-8 (ESV) I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. [8] Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing."

Psalm 79:13 (ESV)says: "But we your people, the sheep of your pasture, will give thanks to you forever; from generation to generation we will recount your praise." What a joy and amazing gift of grace to be edified and encouraged in the Lord through my daughter! I Love You!

Laurie said...

Dad, I first understood the concept of grace not equaling easy through your teaching. It changed my life. All of what I write here on my blog is influenced by what you have taught over the years not only from the pulpit, but from your influence on my life.

I love you too!

You should have a blog. Your comment was more profound than anything I've ever posted :) .