2006/06/23

Schedule Day Three: Pool Time

On our schedule in the afternoon is a three hour block time to either run errands or go to our community pool, or do both. The pool is a challenge for me because while I'm there I'm tempted to be thinking about other things I could be doing right now that are more "productive". But I love watching my children enjoy the pool, and one benefit is that it is a block of time when they need little correction, and get along beautifully. Yesterday, however, I wanted to be more intentional about expressing gratitude for the luxury of having a pool in our community. I am grateful that my boys still want to show off for me. They say, "mom, watch this..." a hundred times, and I love it. I am grateful that my girl is really committed to being a good swimmer. I can't believe how hard she works to keep up with the brothers. I am really grateful that yesterday, I was able to meet other moms in the neighborhood. In the past weeks the ladies who were there seemed to be hiding in their magazines, I-pods, or naps, but yesterday there were two other twin moms there (one with 2 year olds looking very frazzled) and one with 12 year olds. There was a mom with three sons really close in age, like mine as well. So God provided many inroads for friendships with ladies who are regulars at the pool. Opportunities for the gospel will abound. So, what does this have to do with my schedule? If there was an area I was tempted to avoid doing, it was this whole pool time. And yet God in His kindness opened my eyes to see that this is about more than providing fun for my children, it is an opportunity to be out in the world among other mothers who may not yet have believed the glorious Gospel of grace. Even my desire to keep a schedule itself must be an outworking of the gospel in my life. By the Holy Spirit's work, I desire to reflect the image of God as a woman. The way I reflect His image is in being a helper to my husband. It helps him to have order in our home. The schedule is a way to keep things orderly and running smoothly. It all really does come back to the gospel. The gospel gives me a new heart that is free to serve others, primarily my husband. The schedule is simply a practical way for me to do this. And sharing the gospel with other women is to be part of my life as well...I just didn't realize how the two (schedule and evangelism) would meet - at the pool.

7 comments:

FishMama said...

Thanks for the encouragement. We started going to the pool this year for the first time. My temptation is that it is so hard with four almost non-swimmers to make sure everyone is alive and having a good time. If I don't go with Bryan or meet friends there, it gets boring for me with no one to talk to. I will have to keep my eyes open a little more to who God might place in my path at the pool. Thanks!

Suzanne said...

A mom with two year old twins who looked frazzled.....I can't imagine. ;) HOw about you Briana??

Tara said...

I can appreciate the pool dilema... pool= dirty=bath time = lots of energy & bending down for this 8 month preggo women. However, I have found that it really is a great chance for the kids to play & be outside. And it's the ONLY way kids can be outside in AZ in the summer! So I have died to self and we are swimming almost every day. I'm thankful that my parents have a pool, it has made "pool time" in our schedule a lot easier during this season with one young swimmer & baby. Plus, nana & papa will often join us- so we can fit in family time & pool time all at once :-)

Thanks for posting your schedule I really appreciate your gospel centered approach and have benefited from reading it this week.

Briana Almengor said...

Yeah, Suzanne. I'm always the picture of grace when out w/ my boys. HA!
You should have seen this "frazzle dazzle" momma at Bob Evans this morning and even w/ grandparents to help. :)
Nice to know I'm not the only mom of twins who looks like she's losing her mind or at least her hair!

Laurie said...

Briana and Suzanne,
Part of the bond I had with this lady is that you just don't know until you have a set of twins how hard it is! I still have a frazzled look on my face in certain situations...worship on Sunday morning last week felt like a circus - on the front row, mind you! :)

Briana Almengor said...

Laurie,

It's too funny that you mention last Sunday's worship service b/c I was actually watching you from time to time and gaining much hope for the future. I would look at you w/ your gang and think, "I'll get there eventually." :)
So, whatever circus you were experiencing, it didn't look like one to me. :)

Zoanna said...

Laurie, I love this post. It is amazing how quickly a schedule CAN become "all about me" and getting MY stuff done, and forgetting that God occasionally "interrupts" our schedule to show us it's really His. I appreciate how you noticed the divine plan of evangelism at the pool. Today, poolside chat, tomorrow baptism, huh?