2006/06/19

A Brave Blog Week

When the Girls Talk, I listen. And the routine talk resonated with me because even before the first outstanding article Nicole wrote on the topic, I was beginning to see the need for the day to be better scheduled especially in light of school being over. I am going to do something brave this week. I am going to try to blog about my journey in implementing the Reyes Family Schedule. Why is this brave? Well, it’s brave because I’m determined to be honest about the process which for me and my children is going to be challenging. I decided to this for two reasons: first, for a bit of added accountability. My mom and a friend of mine named Kathy (extremely organized kind of gal) are my real life accountability partners here, but I can’t help but think that if I’m going to have to write a little something at the end of the day for my bloggin’ buddies to read there will be additional incentive to stick to the schedule. Second, I think it might help some others who are interested in the suggestion to schedule their children’s lives. Something about hearing another person trying, failing, and trying again helps. And third, I'm in need of a little inspiration for writing lately...this will provide plenty - perhaps more than you're willing to read :)! Mondays are my husband’s day off, so the schedule will begin tomorrow. I am making a few adjustments to it today, thanks to Kathy’s helpful questions. The primary challenges I anticipate encountering will be my “feelings”. If I don’t “feel” like doing the schedule, or if I don’t “feel” like tackling the potential discipline issues that will come up this first week, it will be hard for me to overcome those feelings or lack thereof and actually do what I planned. I also know my tendencies toward legalism and believe that I could turn this blessing of a schedule into a means for self-righteousness, or condemnation. This morning in Charles Spurgeon’s devotional, Morning and Evening, I was kindly reminded by God that the source for living a life that honors and glorifies Him is always the Holy Spirit. “Rich were the blessings of this day if all of us were filled with the Holy Ghost. The consequences of this sacred filling of the soul it would be impossible to overestimate. Life, comfort, light, purity, power, peace; and many other precious blessings are inseparable from the Spirit's benign presence. As sacred oil, He anoints the head of the believer, sets him apart to the priesthood of saints, and gives him grace to execute his office aright. As the only truly purifying water He cleanses us from the power of sin and sanctifies us unto holiness, working in us to will and to do of the Lord's good pleasure.” So today, as I prepare to put my schedule into practice, I pray that the Holy Spirit would “anoint” my head and give me the “grace to execute [my] office aright.” I pray I would be dependent on Him (not my ability to implement a schedule) for purifying, sanctifying, and working in me to will and to do His good pleasure.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to reading your insights and practices!

Briana Almengor said...

You know I'm praying for you, girl! ANd, I'm excited for the fruit it will produce in your and your kiddos' lives. I'm also looking forward to jumping in next week, God willing, with my own schedule. :)

Here's to routine! Cheers.

Beth Young said...

I'm really excited to see your plan go into action! I have needed a family schedule for months and I keep putting it off until the move. Not much longer! Thank you for being brave!

Beth

Tara said...

Thanks! I'd love to read it. I've seen the need in my own kids life and have begun (or attempted) one myself. I'm not sure how it's all going to work out when baby #3 arrives but there will be grace I'm sure.

Zoanna said...

Ditto all the above. I'm not moving, but a graduation party on Saturday is motivating some seriously long-overdue work around here. A more "normal" schedule should ensue next week.
Grace to us all.

FishMama said...

My email provider (ATT/SBC/Yahoo) has a calendar function attached to my email. So, whatever I put in the calendar, it reminds me via email. Today I tried that with our loose "schedule". It was funny to get caught online when a reminder came up to show me what I "should" be doing instead. It'll be interesting to see how long it has an effect on me.