2006/05/24

The Rock In My Kitchen

There is a rock gushing with water in my kitchen today. Actually, it is in every room of my home, in my mini van, even at Target, the library, and the doctor’s office. I was reminded of this rock reading Psalm 73 this morning. In verses 19-20 Asaph is telling a younger generation about the wickedness of their forefathers when they questioned the more-than-proven power of God to provide for them. 19 They spoke against God, saying, “Can God spread a table in the wilderness?20 He struck the rock so that water gushed out and streams overflowed. It is easy to look at the Israelites and think, “how could they…” And yet if I am honest, I struggle with the very same unbelief. Do I really believe that God has provided everything I need to live for His glory? Do I believe that God is able to change me, and my children to look more like Jesus? Do I believe that all that my heart craves can really be satisfied in Him? I say with man in Mark 9:24 “I believe, help my unbelief.” The hope for the Israelites and for me is found later in the psalm. Verse 35 says, they remembered that God was their rock. The Rock of my salvation is Jesus. Because He was struck, on the cross, living water flows to me. It cleanses me from my sin. It satisfies my thirst. I want to go there all day long. I want to bring my children there. I want to bring others I am in contact with there. God, please help me to remember the Rock gushing with living water today whether it is at a table in the wilderness, or the table in the homeschool room.

3 comments:

Zoanna said...

It's almost spooky that you and I were reading the same TWO passages yesterday. The rock in the wilderness and "I believe, help my unbelief."

"Water from a Rock" was Ben's favorite naptime story from his children's Bible when he was a tot.

Love that line about the Rock gushing with living water "whether it is a table in the wilderness, or the table in the homeschool room." How true it is!

Anonymous said...

the rock. . .I want to go there all day long. I want to bring my children there. I want to bring others I am in contact with there.

God, please help me to remember the Rock gushing with living water today whether it is at a table in the wilderness, or the table in the homeschool room. . .or the baseball games - when i walk & talk with them.



here is a great tool -
a wonderful means of grace:

"everyday talk" - book by, john younts

God first gave specific instructions for being a parent in Deuteronomy 6. He instructs parents to talk to their children everyday about God and His ways. Everyday Talk offers practical, creative ways to do that. Learn how to use ordinary conversations to show your kids the goodness and wisdom of God. With clear biblical teaching, John Younts illustrates how to lead your children into a greater awareness of the presence and glory of God.

http://www.shepherdpress.com/everyday_talk.htm

Laurie said...

Thanks Tracey. We actually already have this book. Jason read it earlier this year and said it was excellent. I'll have to put it on my summer reading list.