2006/05/03

Blessed Inadequacy

I am comfortable with my ordinary-ness. But what I am not comfortable with is total inadequacy. And yet, today, like so many other days, I am faced with my inadequacy to do all that needs to get done in a way that glorifies God. I have a lot of housework to do. I have a lot of schoolwork to accomplish. I have errands to run, and a baseball game to attend. But more than these things, I have hearts to shepherd throughout the whole process: mine as well as my children's. This is what I find too difficult. I can clean. I can teach. I can even run from here to there. But can I deal with the inevitable interruptions, sinful attitudes, and relational conflict that are sure to accompany life today? And yet, here in the moments when I feel my inability to do the very life God has ordained for me, is where I can either look at myself and be discouraged, or look to God and have faith. Today, like so many other days, I am faced with my inadequacy, but I am turning my face away from me to my heavenly Father. He is generous with the abundance of grace at His disposal. This grace includes pardon for the sins that I will commit. And this grace includes strength to do the work He has called me to. I can bring my children to Him to do the same. It is God who will work in me to will and to do for His good pleasure. Father, help me to be grateful for the circumstances of life that keep me closer to reality about myself. My pride makes me want to be competent and capable in everything. But in your kindness you expose my weakness, not to discourage me, but to humble me and to show forth Your power which is made perfect in my weakness.
2 Peter 1:3 His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence

11 comments:

Nicole Seitler said...

Thought you might like to read this post: Of Roses and Thorns. Made me think of yours.

Anonymous said...

I love that passage of scripture. Thanks for posting it here today.

faith ann raider said...

Thank you so much for being willing to be "real" about the inadrquacy we all face as mothers, and to point us to the source of all strength & grace. I was really encouraged - thank you!

Laurie said...

Thanks for the gracious comments. So far I have done no school. It's almost 2 pm. Apparently when I wrote "I can teach..." I was highly overestimating myself :). Well, kids are in the van ready to go to gym!

Beth Young said...

Laurie, once again you spoke straight into my life. Thank you for pointing out the important :-)

Amy said...

found your blog via Faith Raider. great stuff! I loved all the quotable kiddos stuff too! just what I need, another blog to read...but I'll probably be back :) blessings!

Zoanna said...

Well said.

Amy said...

sorry if that was unclear :) I meant, Faith who commented above. I read her blog and she linked to you the other day--glad she did--that's how I got here.

Laurie said...

Amy, I figured it out and felt silly that I had to ask. :)

Amy said...

hey, we all have those "d'oh!" moments :)

Beth Young said...

You know...today, I am faced with my own "blessed inadequacy". My son's bad attitude and temper really got in the way of me having a good day. I couldn't get the house cleaned up or the work done that I wanted to get done all because he was being a little nastier than normal. I found myself being so angry with him because I had to correct him. Thank you for having this blog so that I could read this again.