2006/05/04

Reyes Ranch House

This week Jason and I have been watching a reality show on PBS called Texas Ranch House. The premise is taking a group of 21st century individuals, and putting them in a simulated 1867 working ranch complete with cowboys, indians, the ranch owner, and his family. Mix in 110 degree weather, scant food, and a lot of physical labor and you have a rather fascinating little show. Not surprisingly, one appeal is watching the mindset of the current culture collide with that of a previous generation. It isn't really working. The women aren't happy being on the periphery of a male-dominated society. Some of the cowboys had a hard time listening to an older ranch manager. Two people have been fired, and the husband is torn between pleasing his wife and pleasing the cowboys making him an impotent leader on both fronts. Ahhh, reality t.v. at its finest. Before yesterday's episodes came on Jason said he was thinking about how he can watch this show and view their problems the way the rest of the world might view them. For example, they would be happier if they just got rid of so-and-so. Or, if the wife would just back off of her husband, maybe he would regain the respect of some of the cowboys and they would work better for him. Basically, a change of circumstances, management style, or people would facilitate success. Jason continued to say that the thought occured to them that of course, the Gospel is the only thing that can make such a situation work out. It is always the solution to the problems at hand. Without the gospel people in any time period are doomed to fail. I got to thinking. Do you ever wonder if your life is some crazy reality show and at any minute a camera man is going to come out of the garage and a director will then inform you that this whole thing is some crazy show? I can imagine the creative team putting together the premise for my reality show: "let's take a selfish woman prone to anger and impatience, somewhat disorganized, little to no experience with children and lets give her three of her own kids in less than two years. Make them all boys. For interest, let's add number four (girl) when the others are two and three years old. Eventually we'll add in a homeschool component (that will make for great t.v.)Voila! My reality. Like every good reality show there will be all sorts of twists and turns in the plot. The unexpected "what in the world just happened?" factor. Like for example last night's episode would have been called "travesty at the ball park: a melodrama". Anyway, you get the idea. Don't get the wrong idea, though. I love my reality. I love being a wife and mother and having three little boys and girl. I love homeschooling them. Truly my life is way better than I dreamed it could be, and certainly immensely better than I could ever deserve. But there is a problem sometimes. I want to be the star of my own show here. Whether it be in the form of the villain or the hero, I often put myself at the center of my world. The truth is there is a "Divine Director" of events at the Reyes Ranch House. He has written the various circumstances I find myself in. He has written in the unexpected twists and turns. God is at the center of our reality. He is sovereignly in control of everything each day. It is for God's glory that we exist here together. And just like the people from Texas Ranch House,It is not a change of circumstances or people that will solve our problems, it is the gospel. Jesus died on the cross for our sins so that we could be forgiven, set free to love one another, and enjoy access to the Father anytime and anywhere. My prayer is that we would glorify God by seeing Him at the center of our reality, and enjoy Him in the midst of everyday life. And when we fall short, may we run quickly to the throne of grace and receive forgiveness, grace to change, and rejoice in His glory once again.

4 comments:

Nicole Seitler said...

I was talking to my sister-in-law about her brother going into the army. She's very excited for him and she thinks it will do him a world of good. But I couldn't help but think to myself, "It's not what he really needs most..." What will really do him a world of good is knowing the Savior. :\

Laurie said...

2 became 1, I am so glad that you posted a comment about the Cookes. And believe me when I say that I could never in a million years be on a show like Texas Ranch House. It must be difficult to have your conversations cut and pasted for all the world to see. I am sad that the directors depicted a godly husband and wife in a somewhat negative manner.

Karen Hevesy said...

I don't see my life so much as a reality show but I often wonder if I am on "Candid camera" I must be a "goofy thing" magnet. I find myself often saying "seriously? God gave US children?" Our lives may not be television worthy, but they sure are interesting!! Thank you God for keeping it "lively."

Zoanna said...

Haven't seen the show you're talking about, but I can imagine. I know I'd never make it as a pioneer woman on the prairie--real or otherwise. I might like to try it for a week to make me appreciate more what I've got going here (air conditioning, electric appliances, a computer that gets me around the globe in the click of a button, and food that someone else had planted, watered, harvested and cleaned up for my consumption). My sister, Andrea, on the other hand, is a modern day pioneer, working to round up horses and wild burroes while her husband is serving in the war on another continent.
As for the Divine Director, isn't it great to know Him and that He loves us, even when we thoroughly botch all our lines, forget all the blocking, and yet take a huge bow during the middle of HIS show!