2006/05/29

Just Passing It On

With all of the rubbish you find on the world wide web, it is always nice to be able to pass on something that is helpful. I recently began using my laptop for my quiet time journal, and now Bible reading. I thought I would never give up my fancy journals and pens - but it is so much more practical to keep one place for everything. I can cut and paste verses and quotes into my to-do list (I think I got that idea from Carolyn Mahaney, but i'm not sure). Or if I'm e-mailing somebody, I can insert scripture more readily to encourage that individual. This year I am using D.A. Carson's For the Love of God companion book in order to read through the Bible in a year. I am loving this! He uses the M'Cheyenne schedule of reading. I found the ESV online has the M'Cheyenne readings here. I put it in my favorites and go there each morning. I never thought I would be able to read my Bible on a computer screen, but I've adjusted, and love being able to cut and paste sections of scripture into my journal for the day. Just thought I'd pass it along, I'm sure many of you already know about it. Also, I just subrscribed to bloglines. By subscribing to various blog feeds I am able to check my blogs much faster because bloglines tells me which ones have been updated. So now I'm not checking my favorite blog each day to see if they posted, bloglines does that for me. It's hard to explain, just go there, and trust me it will save you time on your blog reading. I also find myself spending measured time on blogs rather than clicking aimlessly here and there. I know some of you already use this and if you can explain it better, please do so in my comment box.

5 comments:

Leanne said...

This was so well timed for me - I've been looking for some structure to read through the Bible in a year and the link to the ESV was exactly what I needed. Thanks for being sensitive to the Spirit!

Nicole Seitler said...

I use Sage for Firefox to read my blogs in. VERY HELPFUL!

Sage: a reader for Firefox

Laurie said...

Leanne, welcome to the blogosphere! I fixed the link to ESV onoline - I'm sure you figured it all out once you got there. Nicole, what is firefox? I see it everywhere, but never understood what it is/does.

Anonymous said...

Firefox is another browser you can download for free. It's pretty nice, although I think the benefit is more for Exploer users. Since I have a mac I use Safari. Safari is similar to Firefox. For instance one thing I love about both of these browers is that they have tabbed browsing. No more multiple windows opened!

Leanne said...

Another Firefox bonus - it has a feature that will not only block popup ads, but also the in-text ads (or any specific picture or banner you want to block). See it once, block it, and a picture never shows up in that space again! Great for those semi-questionable ads I don't feel like staring at every time I check my e-mail.