2006/04/01

When Things Don't Go Topsy Turvy, But Should

It began with me seeing a picture of a madhatter cake (also called a topsy turvy cake), and finding directions online. I have been experimenting with fondant covered cakes lately, since they're so trendy right now, and decided to try a single tier mad hatter cake for a baby shower. Fortunately, I started early enough that if it didn't work, I would have plenty of time to make another more standard cake. Well, it began fine, but by the time I put the first layer of fondant over the whole thing, it just kind of looked like a really tall warped cake covered with a large piece of cheese. Not exactly what I was picturing for Kate's shower. So I froze the cake thinking that I'd use it for Jason's birthday, and made the second cake for the shower. Then I had a bright idea. I would look online to see if I could find directions for making a cowboy hat shaped cake. Believe it or not, I found directions. I had to modify them because my hat was huge, but it helped me as a guideline. Even though it took a while, I still can't believe how smoothly this went compared to the other cake. This is a lesson in not overestimating my abilities in the world of cakes. But, on the other hand, God really blessed me with making something cuter than I thought I was capable of. There must be a profound life lesson in there somewhere. I'm too tired to think about it right now. I'm still recuperating from that party! And here's the finished product. I wish I had a picture of it while it still looked like a tall, warped cake covered in cheese.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

It turned out so awesome! Great job.

Suzanne said...

That hat is a CAKE!?! WOW I am impressed!

Tara said...

I don't care what it used to look like, I am impressed!!

FishMama said...

Excellent!

Thanks for sharing the story. It looks great! I wonder if God gives us those "successful" moments creating things so that we can appreciate His joy in His creation.

Zoanna said...

It's just amazing. I can't believe it's a cake. Is the bandana also fondant, or is that real?

Laurie said...

Zoanna, it is a real bandana (actually, bandana fabric on sale at Wal Mart). I used it to cover up the wrinkles I couldn't smooth out at the base of the fondant.

The only problem with this cake is that it was really hard to cut into presentable pieces. It was so tall and awkward. Oh well, it still tasted fine, even if the pieces weren't traditionally shaped :) .

faith ann raider said...

WOW!! What an amazing cake!!!