2006/04/28

Maggie's Cup

I have a confession to make. This is the first time in our lives that our boys have played a competitive organized sport. Don't get me wrong - competitive sports are a way of life around here, but the whole Parks & Rec. thing I have put off until now. I have another confession to make. I love watching my boys play on their little baseball team. Almost equally, I love watching Jason help the boys learn to be godly atheletes. He is having so much fun! All three are on the same team which is a great conversation starter (and ender) with the other moms. "Which one is yours?" "Number 8, number 9, and number 10." "Oh my! How old are they?" "The twins are 8, Israel's 7." "You must have your hands full." "Yeah, but it works out great for organized sports." Actually, I am enjoying the opportunity to connect with ladies outside of the church. I anticipate it being an evangelistic opportunity. I'm really praying God will continue to open doors for the gospel. Well, everyone came to the boys first scrimmage game. My mother, Jason's parents, my sister and her kids...we had a whole cheering section! Somehow afterwards we had a conversation about athletic cups. My mom was saying that when she went to my cousins little league game the week before, it was mandatory that the boys wore protective cups. She said all you could see from the bleachers were these enormous cups on these little kids. Her and my aunt got a real kick out of it. Then Jimmy said something about being traumatized by his first athletic cup experience...he went with my mother (enough said). Anyway, back in the van the boys asked what a cup was so we told them. Maggie pipes up and says, "I had one of those before!" We laughed and laughed. She said defensively, "at the doctors!" Apparently, she had to pee in a cup one time and thought that's what we were talking about. Well, the adventure continues. We are loving baseball.

3 comments:

Zoanna said...

Too funny. Wait till they need "compression shorts" to keep their cup in place! Or wanna hear something gross? Joel thought Ben's cup was an oxygen mask.

Suzanne said...

This is a topic I haven't considered! Thanks for enlightening me. :)

Anonymous said...

So funny! When I first read the title I thought you were going to talk about bras!