2006/04/05

Sweet Painful Reminder

To my shame there are days when I have thought to myself, "I can't do this mom thing all day another day." This isn't because my children are particularly difficult. This isn't because I have any ailment or disease. I'm not living under the pressure of single parenthood, or having to endure the hardship of working outside the home. No. The only reason my life is difficult for me to embrace with joy and gratitude at times is the simple fact that I am a selfish woman. I am the reason my life feels hard at times. How un-Christlike I have discovered I am. With so many opportunities to humbly lay down my life and serve these precious treasures, my children; I choose to complain, and even at times resent the constant demands of motherhood. I want to escape. Joni Erickson Tada shuts my mouth. I was freshly humbled as I read her testimony on the girltalk blog today. My life is so pain-free, trial-free. How can I read about Joni's humble dependence on God for strength in the midst of a real trial and not be convicted and inspired? God, help me to be humble and realize how pleasant the lines have fallen to me. Forgive me for complaining. Help me to realize that I am so weak, I even strain under the little weight motherhood brings. You are Joni's strength and her smile. Please be my strength and my smile.

4 comments:

Briana Almengor said...

I just cried when I read Joni's excerpt on the girltalk blog today. I gotta say I'm in the same boat with you, sister. Praise God, though, we're sailing in His Ship onward to Paradise! Redemption even for the selfish. Thank you, Lord!

Abby Cannon said...

wow. God's grace is amazing and I am humbled when I think of His goodness to me. So many times I think that I will be more godly and happier if my life was easier. But truly I would become more and more selfish if I always got what I thought I really wanted. Thank you, Laurie for referring us back to the Girl Talk blog, but especially to our kind and loving Lord. :)

Love you guys and I love walking along side each of you on this path of humble service as wives and moms. :) Aint it the best job in the world?

Zoanna said...

This speech of hers gives me chills. Thanks for directing me to it here cuz I don't read Girl Talk every day. She is a true heroine of the faith.

Beth Young said...

Laurie, thank you for putting that link on your blog. How right you are that WE are the reasons our lives feel hard at times. It's almost laughable to me that I think that I have hard days. This encourages me to seek the Lord and to seek scripture -- to learn more and to lean on Him.