2005/09/01

Please Pray

Images of New Orleans flashed across the television last night. Places I have visited over and over from childhood to last March looked like they were just crumpled up and tossed into streets of water. Places like the French Quarter, where we ate beignet doughnuts and drank coffee are gone. Places like the levy where my Mom, Dad, sister, brother, and I stood watching the sunset after my grandfather’s funeral less than six months ago crumbled and faltered. We don’t know what my grandmother’s house looks like yet.  Did the Bojangles bottle opener make it? What about the yellow furniture in the guest room we used to sleep in? And the picture of Karyn at age two that even though it’s a studio shot, seems to capture not just who she was, but who she still is? And finally, what became of the three beautiful tables with intricate, inlaid wood patterns that my great-grandfather made with rudimentary tools, but expert artistry?  

Indeed, the people of New Orleans are in need of our prayers. I want to ask that you also pray for our little piece of the circumstance as well.  My parents will fly out Saturday morning to pick up my grandmother, 87 years old, and my severely retarded aunt Cathy, 54 years old, from an airport in Texas. They will board another plane and fly home immediately. My Aunt has never flown and becomes very agitated and loud when she’s in unfamiliar circumstances. This could make for a very long flight for everyone. Please pray that she is peaceful.   My grandmother, who just suffered the loss of my grandfather, hasn’t been here in ten years. She is leaving the familiarity of her own home, her friends who played cards daily there ever since I was a little girl, and other extended family. I think she plans to return when it is possible, but if you’ve seen the news lately, you know that is looking unlikely.  Please pray that her adjustment would go smoothly, and she would be able to enjoy her grandchildren and her great-grandchildren. My mother and father have been spending every waking minute preparing for my grandmother and aunt’s arrival. We transformed the dining room into a bedroom for them. We had to clear out spaces in the house for the china (massive amounts – if you know my mother, you know why), and in the garage for the furniture. My mom’s life is going to change significantly. She is the rugged, pioneer-type, and in typical Mill’s fashion is rising to the challenge of caring for her elderly mother-in-law, but more difficult by far, caring for my aunt who has the capacity of a baby…but is physically much stronger! Please pray that God will continue to give her grace for what lies ahead.

These are not the circumstances under which any of us envisioned my grandmother moving here. My mom pictured having an addition built so that grandma could have her own kitchen, her own space. She pictured the big family dinner we would have in the dining room to celebrate their arrival. We thought we would have home health care lined up to meet my aunt’s needs, just as she had in New Orleans. God had a different plan, and we believe it will bring Him the most glory, and be for everyone’s own good. Selfishly, I am so happy that my children will get to know my grandmother and aunt. I am glad she will be at their birthday party this month. I am excited for her to see the house we live in due in large part to her and my grandfather’s generosity. I hope whe will be able to teach me, one more time, how to make her seafood gumbo, crawfish bisque, eggplant gravy, and pecan pie.  I know, even with the blessings, it  will not be an easy time, but please pray that everyone involved would draw near to God, receive strength in weakness, enjoy the opportunities to be together, and humbly submit to His gracious hand.

Thank you to everyone who has been praying and expressing care for our family.

2 comments:

Zoanna said...

Laurie, I'm undone. If my prayers were bones before reading this, you've put flesh on them. I can only believe that you will ALL come to see that this time was a gift from God. It may not look like it now, from your grandma's or aunt's or parents' point of view, but you will go deeper still into the waters of His unfailing love. For the time being, please know you are in my thoughts and prayers throughtou the days. And I DO WANT to make a meal for the CAnnon family. Please call. I don't want to make the phone ring, but I am over here waiting for you to call or the phone to ring, saying "Hey, Zo,about that meal....'I mean it!" Or if I can run errands for anyone of you before Wedsnesday, I'd be happy to.

Libby said...

Laurie,
I am severely under qualified in many ways, but I would love to offer help to your mom--especially with your aunt. If there is any way that I can lend even a small amount of my training and upbringing, please let me know!!!! I can come spend time, offer relief, care, daily hygiene and other needs. Please don't hesitate to call or have your mom call!