2005/10/05

Wise Words About Strength

“Instead of immediately asking for deliverance, Paul prayed that the believers in Colosse would grow in maturity. If you think about it, how do we grow in endurance and patience? Only one path exists, which we’ve already mentioned: to have both our endurance and patience sorely tried, even past the breaking point, until we learn to rest in ‘God’s glorious might.’ You’ll never develop your biceps if you lift just one-pound weights; you have to stress the muscle beyond its normal routine. The same principle holds true spiritually. If God gives us situations we already have the strength to handle, we won’t have to grow in order to deal with them.”                             –Gary Thomas from his book Sacred Parenting pg. 146

I can’t resist the urge to comment on this quote in light of my previous post. These godly older women and others whom I didn’t mention are mature in Christ and able to carry heavy loads (that I cannot at this point imagine carrying) because when they were younger they worked their muscles in smaller situations. I also want to bear the five pound weight of sick children, sleepless nights, an unruly four-year-old, a mountain of laundry, homeschool preparations, having to get up and serve even when I’m sick, etc., etc. You get the point. More than exercise my own pitiful biceps, I want to learn the secret my mother and other Titus 2 ladies have learned: my strength is from the Lord. I want to go to Him for strength in these little things so that when big things come, like caring for an elderly parent/disabled sister, moving into a retirement community, seeing my husband have a heart attack, experiencing the death of my child, moving from my house to my grown daughter’s house because I cannot keep up with the work physically, working with younger people who disregard my wisdom and experience, I am ready. (By the way, all of the things in that list were real challenges of ladies I was in Bible study with yesterday– not imagined hardships I could encounter). I am grateful for those going before me. They are spiritual body-builders for sure!

2 comments:

Zoanna said...

I agree. I sure wish I could've been in there the whole time. I was subbing.I'm thinking about joining the brick and mortar study since the 20 minutes I got was sooooo good.

Kristie said...

Hi Laurie,
Thanks for the work you do on your blog. It is very encouraging, especially this particular post. I have 4 boys and our youngest recently broke his femur. As we have walked through this minor trial (emphasis on "minor"), I felt the Lord was training me. By revealing my weaknesses, He is teaching me to rely on Him and go to Him for the strength I need each day.