2005/10/30

What I Learned at...

The Sovereign Grace Small Group Leaders’ Conference was amazing as usual. This conference is truly one of my favorites, and now that it only happens once every three years, I am even more aware of the unique blessing it is. I can only describe being there in terms of experiencing wave after wave of God’s grace through worship, a musical review, teachings, workshops, and fellowship. For my own benefit more than anything, here are three of the many, many things I learned:

  1. In C.J.’s teaching, “the Priority and Practice of Application” I learned that I am simple, and so is everyone else I know. The implications are that I am not going to be able to apply a ton of truth to a ton of areas in my life that need growth. My kids aren’t either. My husband isn’t. The ladies I am called to minister to aren’t. But one bit of scripture applied to one bit of life will begin the momentum of change in other areas. This will not limit growth, it will ensure it.

  2. In Mike Bullmore’s teaching, which was a work of art as far as teachings go, entitled “The Functional Centrality of the Gospel”, I learned all over again that all Christian behavior should flow out of the gospel. I must see the connection. I must help others see the connection. I think of this with my kids. How often I have issued a moral command apart from the gospel (Stop being unkind to your brother. No grumbling and complaining, please. Say you’re sorry to your sister.) I must stick the post-it note of behavioral moral exhortation to the fly wheel of the gospel because the momentum is already there. And also, may these not just be buzz words that I have learned to parrot, and taught my kids to parrot, but may it become an increasing genuine practice in the Reyes house as Jason seeks to lead us in it.

  3. In Dave Harvey’s teaching about faith I learned that faith looks up and faith looks back. Faith looks up and believes that God exists, and God is good. This has extremely practical application. In fact, this morning I remembered it when my kids woke up at their body’s normal time 7 am, but the clock had been turned back to 6 am. My hope was to wake before them and have a leisurely time with the Lord, but that did not happen. I complained. I asked my husband why he let them come down early. I was angry. In that moment I remembered to ask myself the question Dave Harvey told us to ask: Does God exist? Is God good? My disappointment seemed silly after considering the fact that God was there and had my good in mind even if it meant I wouldn’t get the long time in His word that I was hoping for. I was able to confess my sin, and be at peace with the kids up an hour earlier than usual. Ah faith…so practical.

Those are just a few of the jewels I found in the treasure trove of the conference. I am so happy that some of my favorite people, our care group leaders, were able to be there to benefit from the wealth as well. I pray for grace for all of us to make application a priority as we enter reality this week.

10 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks for sharing what you learned at the conference! I heard from various people that Mike Bullmore’s message was great and should be bought and listened to by everyone!

Laurie said...

Ah Danielle, my faithful commentor. Only a true friend would wade through boring musings such as this! Thanks girl.

Anonymous said...

Not boring. But I do recognize some recycling in there by Dave Harvey. Isn't that the msg he gave to Chesapeake not long ago?

Laurie said...

Yes, parts of that message were "recycled". It's funny how I can hear even the exact same teaching over and over and still "hear" things for the first time. I am grateful for the wisdom of Sovereign Graces leadership to remind us simple people again.

Nicole Seitler said...

Wow. That's all such great stuff. Thanks for sharing it!

That practical lesson from Dave Harvey (look back, look up) will really serve me today...along with all the things I've been trying to remember from Sunday (which was such an excellent message).

Danielle said...

So not boring, Laurie! Not to play "blog favorites" but I must say yours is one of my favorite blogs to visit. Keep it comin' and know what a true blessing your writing is!

peg said...

Hi Laurie,thanks for the excellent recap! My dull mind already needs reminding! What rich, timely teachings and what a sobering thought that to whom much is given, much is expected. Help me, Lord, to apply the gospel to my life and my life to the gospel!
I wanted to say hi but didn't make it through the sea of people and find you! Please give your mom a big hug for me!

Laurie said...

Peggy, what a profound comment, "I want to apply the gospel to my life and my life to the gospel." I am keeping that on my refrigerator! Thank you. I will hug my mom tomorrow for you. They got home at 4 am this morning. Grandma is with them - thank the Lord.

Zoanna said...

Peggy, I liked your quote, too. Is that original? I gravitate to the original, simple quotes. I remembered it going to bed last night, 'applying the gospelto my life and my life to the gospel."

You go, girl!

peg said...

I guess it's original..easy to say and not so easy for me to apply! There's so much of my sinful nature than must die-selfish ('good') desires, dreams, agendas. Not my will but Yours be done is so easily said isn't it?