2005/10/03

Strength and Beauty

Strength and beauty. It is an unlikely combination. Beauty is often so fragile and fleeting. Even the most glamorous succumb to age and gravity eventually. But I have seen in the  lives of two older women (in the lives of many older women, but I’m only describing two) absolutely breathtaking beauty combined with a strength that inspires me as a younger woman to want to be like them someday, Lord willing.

In a recent caregroup leaders’ meeting, my friend Cathy shared that she was struggling with the fact that she and her husband were leaving her single family home to move into a condo for retirees. Cathy loves her garden. She loves the memories she’s made with her grandchildren in her house. She has been exemplary in showing hospitality in this home. She has it decorated just the way she wants. Cathy loves her home, and it is hard to leave to go to a place that is probably going to be her last home. Yet in my basement, at a meeting with other believers who were praying over her and her husband, we had the privilege of hearing her surrender with many tears to God’s will. She was willing to be a pioneer once again, into a new land – not to retire, but to be used of God in a whole new adventure. I will never forget her prayer…not just the content, but the emotion as well. This was true beauty. This was true strength.

My mother stands as another pageant winner when it comes to strength with beauty. I have thanked God so many times for the privilege of watching my mom up close in this particular season. My mom has opened her home to my grandmother and my aunt. My aunt is profoundly mentally handicapped with the capacity of an infant. My grandmother is no longer able to care for my aunt due to her own chronic pain caused by spinal stenosis which means my mother is doing the hard work of caring for my aunt. (think of all that is involved in caring for a baby, but this is a grown 56 year old woman who weighs over a hundred pounds). My mother also lives with constant joint pain. You would only know this if you saw her trying to get up and down from a chair – she never complains about it (the doctors still don’t know why she has pain in every joint, therefore it is not really treatable – so frustrating to me! But my mom bears with it). All of this to say that my mom’s life changed so dramatically in the course of two days, our heads are still spinning. What has been her attitude? She has humbly submitted to the will of God. It is amazing how she has risen to this challenge. She gives all glory to God. She would tell you this season is yet another example of her life verse: 2 Corinthians 12:9 “But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” What holy ground to watch her serving so heroically in the strength of the Lord.

Both of these women are true beauties. The world misses the mark when it comes to what true beauty is. Anyone can wear pretty clothes, put on makeup, and get a cute hairstyle. The world says that the most exquisite beauty is reserved for the young. Not true! A thousand times not true! I have seen Cathy and my mother demonstrate beauty like no younger woman I know. I am inspired to do what they did in their youth: study God’s Word rather than casually read a devotional here and there; grow through little trials rather than try to escape them and take the path of comfort and ease, learn to follow God wherever He leads instead of resist and stubbornly go my own way, and boast in my weakness rather than trying to meet the challenges of the day in my own strength. And one day, I hope to trade the beauty of youth (which is everyday fading) with the more impressive beauty of the older women around me.

Thank you, Cathy.

Thank you, Mom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am humbled and blessed that you have been a part of my adventure. To Him be the glory.

Zoanna said...

I agree wholeheartedly with the descriptions here of your mom and Cathy. They have both embarked on a new adventure that is not by their design, but One who's got a far better design than we could conceive in our lifetimes.

Bev said...

How wonderful God is to give us examples of beautiful older women! My mother is also one of these "pageant winners" as you put it. I thank God that He has given us women like these that we can fashion our lives after. Women who have fashioned their own lives after Christ.

Briana Almengor said...

Brought me to tears.
Thanks for the reminder of what "true beauty" is and the inspiration to put my effort into acquiring this inner beauty.

Danielle said...

Thanks for sharing Laurie, and reminding us what true beauty looks like. It has nothing to do with what's on the outside.