2005/04/04

the bucket and The Fountain

I admit I am not a poet. Most of my poetry can be sung to a Barney melody. But still, I thought I would attempt to articulate something God is revealing to me through verse. I was inspired by a teaching called The Supremacy of God in Prayer * by...yes...John Piper (I know I'm a bit obsessed). Well, here it goes:
A foolish lady labored gravely
struggling up a mountain,
With a bucket full of dirty water
to pour into a Fountain.
This Fountain gushed with grace
and mercy for the ones below;
She thought her bucket of effort
could contribute to its flow.
Exhausted by the staggering weight
of "do better and try harder,"
She thought she heard the Fountain say,
"Listen to me, my daughter.
If you truly want to honor Me
and show the world My glory,
Then empty your bucket of everything
whenever you come before Me.
Don't come with two ounces of goodness,
Don't come with a cupful of deeds,
Don't come with a gallon of effort
To pay off your balance of needs.
Instead take the empty bucket,
And stand in the Fountain of grace.
I will cleanse you; I will fill you
And I will receive honor, glory, and praise."
She dumped upon the dirt worn path
The murky works and deeds.
She jumped into the fountain;
She was washed, and filled, and free!
A much more poignant way of saying this is:
Nothing in my hands I bring
Simply to Thy cross I cling
Naked come to Thee for dress
Helpless look to Thee for grace
To Thy fountain, Lord I fly
Wash me Savior, or I die.
*in case you don't know, if you click on the blue words, it will send you to that link (John Piper' teaching in this case).

6 comments:

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Well if you aren't a poet, I don't know what you are, but that was beautiful!

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Please. That is not "barney-esque" poetry!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. You asked what I write. I am writing christian chicklit. Could be called romance too.

Zoanna said...

That truly was eloquent, my friend.

Anonymous said...

You reduce me to tears again. Thank you for letting God speak to all of us through your gracious words.

Your geeky friend

C

Anonymous said...

Actually, I was so moved after rereading it, that I printed it and posted it on my fridge.

SB said...

hi my name is cott i lost my cd of this sermon it is not available on the website do you think you could emsil me the mp3?