2005/04/06

My Fifth Grade Eating Habits

No, this is not about how I used to eat in the fifth grade. It's about the fact that my current eating habits could be described as what a fifth grader would eat if left alone in the house. For example, this morning I am contemplating a breakfast consisting of chocolate birthday cake (leftover from Sunday), and another cup of coffee (okay, the coffee isn't usually a fifth grade choice, but you get what I'm saying). I want to begin eating healthier. It seems every time I decide to focus on improving my eating habits, vanity creeps in. What begins as a desire to eat in a way that honors God and contributes to energy for the tasks He has called me to, degenerates into trying to lose weight or look better. I read a book a while ago called Love to Eat, Hate to eat by Elise Fitzpatrick. I think I'll pull it out again. It discusses the heart issues behind eating (or not eating). But what I would love to get my hands on is a website, book, magazine, etc. that tells how to just eat healthy. No low-carb trends. No barley green beneath the tongue. Just good old fashion nutrition. Does anybody know of such a resource? If you could leave your suggestions that would be great.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chances are if its made by Hershey's, Duncan Hines, of Frito Lay...probably not healthy. Provided by the creator of the universe (fruits, vegetables, etc.) you can trust it is a better choice. How about the diet where you know you are modeling a healthy diet for your children that will stay with them as they grow into adults? God gives us grace for all things. Now I have a confession..I sucked down a bag of Cheetos followed by a handful of Hot Tamales. You know my children aren't around.

Anonymous said...

Chances are if its made by Hershey's, Duncan Hines, of Frito Lay...probably not healthy. Provided by the creator of the universe (fruits, vegetables, etc.) you can trust it is a better choice. How about the diet where you know you are modeling a healthy diet for your children that will stay with them as they grow into adults? God gives us grace for all things. Now I have a confession..I sucked down a bag of Cheetos followed by a handful of Hot Tamales. You know my children aren't around.

Zoanna said...

Are you only soliciting advice from people who actually take their own? In that case,I'm not a candidate. (For lunch I ate marble cake while the rotisserie heat-it-and-eat-it chicken was in the microwave. Not because I was THAT hungry, or even that impatient, of course. I was just following someone ELSE's advice, which was "life's short. Eat dessert first.")

Seriously, though, I think if Noah ate it, it's probably on the "good eats" list. (I was gonna say if Adam and Eve ate it, but they were vegetarians.) I'm thinking there were still a lot of great, healthful choices even after humans turned carnivorous. No Pop-Tarts, no Cheetos, no brownies, but probably something that satisfied their newfangled sweet teeth.

Anonymous said...

My mom is the queen of healthy eating, not dieting, but just healthy eating and cooking. She has lots of resources, most of which should still be in print. Here's her list of recommendations:

Common Sense Nutrition: A Guide to Good Health for Your Family by Ruth Little Carey

Home Made Health by Raymond and Dorothy Moore (I've read part of this and is interesting and practical)

Feasting Naturally by Mary Ann Pickard

Recipes from the Weimar Kitchen, Whole Foods for Whole People by Lucy Fuller

Prevention Magazine is really good too with short aricles that are understandable and focus on health versus looks.

Hope that helps!

Laurie said...

Danielle, I grabbed my first copy of prevention magazine to read on my road trip. I am reserving the other books at the library online.
Thanks for the suggestions.