2006/02/28

That's Amore!

When the staff had a marriage retreat last month we agreed that one of the most memorable events was when Arie Mangrum (leading the session on romance) had us tell one another what our "song" was. Each person went around the room sharing; and at some point, Jimmy pulled out his laptop and started to play the free 30 seconds of each song from itunes. Couple after couple was reduced to tears in less than 30 seconds. It truly was precious and one of our cherished memories from that retreat. The other night Jason and I were playing Freeze Dance with the kids when Jason put on our song. It is "I Will Be Here" by Stephen Curtis Chapman. As I listened to the words I started crying, of course. My kids were staring at us slow dancing in the middle of the family room - both crying. Why is it that when we were courting and this was the song Jason would sing to me in the car, I wouldn't cry? Well, I suppose it is because I was listening to it with hopeful anticipation; looking toward the future. Now, I can look back and the words are even more precious because we have lived some of them. We have real pictures to put with various phrases which at one time were simply hypothetical. We have seen God's grace in ten years like we never could have anticipated, or predicted. I can hardly imagine how listening to songs are for my parents who celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary this year (going on a well-deserved cruise this Saturday). They don't just have A song, they have a whole cd my Dad put together for my Mom (how sweet and romantic). He can hardly hum a line of song after song without getting misty eyed. I pray our marriage will look like theirs as it seasons with life in God's grace. Try this: Next date night, try listening to "your song" together. Maybe the song you danced to first. Maybe a song you sang to your spouse on your wedding day, or your spouse sang to you. I have a feeling it will affect your heart much like it did each one of us.

5 comments:

Briana Almengor said...

That is so stinkin' sweet...all of it: you and jason dancing infront of your kids, crying, and your dad making a music cd for your mom. I'm so glad they are getting to go on a cruise. How wonderful! WOW...40 years! Lawrence and I will most certainly be in tears at 40 years, for one reason or another! :) :) :)
Currently, my favorite love song is Alysson Krauss's "You Say it Best When You Say Nothing at All".
But, when I was single, the SCC song you mentioned was one of my all time favorites...could probably still sing it word for word.
Maybe I'll pull it out since our anniv. is coming up...4 years (a factor of 40 anyway) :)

Danielle said...

Aw, that is so sweet! That's so funny, Libby wrote a similar post last week about favorite "couple" songs, you should check it out! Mine is Etta James' "At Last," which Josh and I danced to at our wedding. I'd loved that song before Josh and I were together, and then "at last" my love had finally "come along."

Anonymous said...

Yup - that's our song too. My brother sang it at our wedding.

I didn't think it could be improved upon - but when SCC did his love song cd and redid the song, t'was even better. Unfortunately that cd came out a few weeks before my husband's first deployment at the beginning of the Iraq war. After he left, I would listen to it and then sob hysterically when that song came on. (not good when you're driving!) I had to quit playing it. It really bothered my oldest son to see me cry like that. (Mom? Are you going to listen to that song again?)

Laurie said...

Danielle, I read Lib's post back when she wrote it and meant to link it, but forgot.

Blestwithsons, is your husband home now? How did you do it with four little guys all alone?!
Also, the new version is the one he played for me the other night. I loooooved it too! (I play piano, so I particularly enjoyed the beautiful keys).

Anonymous said...

Now I'm crying, too, Laurie! Wonderfully tender writing...