2006/02/01

Grace Unmeasured

I am always amazed when I see clear evidence of the Holy Spirit at work in my children's hearts. This picture is a monument to grace. How aware I am that this has so little to do with me. Over and over again I see God taking what I have sown in pitiful measure, and causing it to multiply by His grace alone. And so many bad things I have sown (anger, impatience, laziness),yet He does not treat me as my sins deserve. My children have been with us in worship over the past month, and it has been helpful to see first hand how they worship in a corporate context. I asked my boys if they ever felt the desire to raise their hands in worship. Two said, "yes, really bad, but I'm afraid to." I remember this well from my own childhood. I have been praying for them, and giving them the "pep talk" about the ways we express worship to God, how He is worthy and to be feared more than man, etc. Well, last Sunday one of my boys raised his hands in worship. Now, being the gushy mom that I am I cried and cried. I was so grateful for God's work in this little boy's life. I am crying as I type. It is such undeserved favor. I'm overwhelmed. This was the song he was worshiping to: Grace Unmeasured Grace unmeasured, vast and free That knew me from eternity That called me out before my birth To bring You glory on this earth Grace amazing, pure and deep That saw me in my misery That took my curse and owned my blame So I could bear Your righteous name Chorus Grace paid for my sins And brought me to life Grace clothes me with power To do what is right Grace will lead me to heaven Where I’ll see Your face And never cease To thank You for Your grace Grace abounding, strong and true That makes me long to be like You That turns me from my selfish pride To love the cross on which You died Grace unending all my days You’ll give me strength to run this race And when my years on earth are through The praise will all belong to You Grace Unmeasured by Bob Kauflin © 2005 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI) May the truth of these lyrics sink deeper and deeper into all of our hearts!

8 comments:

Briana Almengor said...

I'm crying, too! I love that picture; gives me a little vision for my own little buddies! :)

Anonymous said...

That is so AWESOME Laurie!! What grace!

Danielle said...

What a beautiful testimony and beautiful picture!

Unknown said...

Laurie,
I found your site through some Knoxville, TN blogging friends. I love it! Thanks for the time that you have put in to it. It's very encouraging. I have met you before when I was working at Parisian when you were pregnant with the twins. I knew Jason through Cornerstone Church's campus ministry Volunteers for Christ. How many children do you have now and how old are they? You can see mine at knoxvillehills.blogspot.com. I have three: Andrew (4), Ethan (3), and Hannah (8 mos.).

Suzanne said...

Thanks for that entry! So encouraging!

I see more Knoxvillians have found your blog....oh do we all have stories about your husband and pictures, too. But we'll keep them to ourselves.

Oh - Thanks for your email. I've read it several time to soak it up. I'll respond soon.

Kristie said...

How sweet! I bet that song will always be a family favorite!

Laurie said...

Shelley, Jason remembers you, I was pregnant and remember nothing but "woo hoo, I'm having twins!". Anyway, I went to your blog today and enjoyed reading about your life.

My kids are: Caleb and Josh - 8yrs.; Israel - 7 yrs; and Maggie - 4 yrs.

Zoanna said...

That is a precious testimony and picture. I remember the thrill the first time my kids raised their hands in public worship.