2006/01/17

War of the Reyes'

Don’t worry, Jason and I are getting along fine. But there is a war going on here in the Reyes household. At the regional marriage conference we recently attended with the other churches under Dave Harvey’s leadership, we learned from Paul Tripp that marriage is war. I’ll be brief. It is crucial to know that we are at war. The war is between the kingdom of self and the Kingdom of God. This war is fought in the mundane moments of our lives, not in grand gestures and one time surrenders. “What rules the mundane rules you.” The kingdom of God means living my life for another. This is ministry. This is possible in our marriage, because Jesus came into the world to save us from our sin and free us to genuinely love our spouses as He has loved us. I obviously cannot do this teaching justice. If you can find the teaching, which I’m sure will be available soon, get it! It was helpful even just to read this text with marriage in mind.
Galatians 5:13-17 13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another.16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

I wanted to ask you Sunday how the conference went, but didn't get a chance. Sounds like it was full of good teaching! We got a copy of all the notes from a friend and look forward to reading through them.

Briana Almengor said...

Boy is that the reality here as you are all too familiar with :)
I love that quote, "what rules the mundane rules you"..that would be chocolate for me, but God is giving me grace to not be ruled by sugar! :)
I just read this morning from Matt. 6:33, one of my all time favorite life verses, "Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you." I'll consider that along with what you wrote here to spur me on today in the mundane which includes a dr's appt. and getting ready for caregroup! ;)

Suzanne said...

Rob and I were reading your post together....he said, "Man, that's good!" :) Thanks for sharing!

FishMama said...

Sounds like a great conference. PD Tripp is one of our favorites. Bryan was a little "jealous" that y'all had him there. Can't wait to hear the audio. Where can we get it?