2006/01/25

Built-in Blessings of Motherhood

Built into the ministry of motherhood is the opportunity to experience with uncanny regularity the truth of Matthew 25:34-36
34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’
On this day I will feed five other hungry mouths, fill cups numerous times, bathe and clothe at least one little body (while supervising closely the self-bathing and clothing of three other little bodies). I will care for them if they are sick, or even just bang their head, or pinky toe (as Caleb has done three times in two days!). How kind that God provides opportunities to live this verse all day long. No, I’m not headed to soup kitchen this morning. No, I’m not collecting clothing for the local crisis pregnancy center. I’m not going to visit cancer patients at the local children’s hospital, or sharing the gospel up at the detention center for women. These are the images that normally come to mind when I read this passage of scripture. These are also things I would love to be doing, and Lord willing, someday, I will be able to do some of them. But today, I am going to try to remember when I pour that cup of juice watered down, or spread cream cheese on a bagel, slide a pink cotton dress over a precious little head, or tape a pinky toe to its neighbor, that I am not just doing it for my children. Somehow, in the amazing grace and mercy of God, He receives these things as if I were doing them for Him! Thank you God, for this amazing season of life, and all of the blessings You have built into it!

4 comments:

Briana Almengor said...

Oh how sweet you make motherhood sound. It truly is sweet, though. I blotted a blood soaked face yesterday and brought two unsettled boys into bed with me during last night's storm...very sweet indeed!

FishMama said...

Thanks, once again, Laurie. I read that passage also this morning (thanks to God and M'Cheyne) and immediately had a cringe of guilt that I wasn't at the soup kitchen. My heart said, "But,I'm taking care of my chldren...." but I didn't take it the further step that you did. That what I am doing for my children today I am doing for the Lord. Thank you for reminding me of that. I needed it!

Zoanna said...

You're right. I don't usually don't think of "the least of these" being within my four walls. And with 4 of them being rather self-sufficient and well off, I tend to look to elsewhere for meaningful ministry ops. Although, I have been fetcing ice water, pseudofed, and chicken soup for the sickoes here at home. Oh, and yes, there is one who still loves multiple Bandaids on one little hang nail.

Danielle said...

Okay, since my biological clock is tick, tick, ticking, this blog was not helpful, Laurie. (Wink, wink.) I'd much rather spend the day like you described than scaling wretchedly ugly jewelry to size in the computer for a show. But I know I can do that for God's glory too, it just doeesn't seem nearly as rewarding!! ;)