2005/08/28

A Very Fine House

“Our house is a very, very, very, fine house…” rang through our brand new bi-level home on Lynnlee drive in Aberdeen, Maryland. Singing the tune was my twenty-something year old mother as she emptied the boxes in her kitchen. I don’t remember her singing it. My father, on the other hand, has a special fondness for the song ever since she sang it (over and over again…she didn’t know the rest of the words). Why is it a song with special meaning to my Dad? Because her delight in her new house has translated over the years into her delight in creating our home. My mother has always excelled in making our houses, home. I can’t remember a season of life growing up when we didn’t have people coming in and out of our home. Whether it was a care group, or single guys looking for a home-cooked dinner, our home was the place to be. Even now that all of us kids are grown up with homes of our own, we love to go back to Mom and Dad’s house. (My brother loves it so much, he has decided to live there again – at least for a little while!) Other people love going to my parent’s house as well.

My mother has used her gift of hospitality and love for her home faithfully over the years. I am grateful for her example of keeping the home the center of her ministry. I aim to be like her. Recently my Mom stayed at my house for a few days to watch my children while I was away celebrating our 10th anniversary. She paid me the highest compliment. She said, “I felt so at home in your house, Laurie.”  You see, I keep my glasses in the cabinet next to the refrigerator, just like Mom. My Swiffer stuff is under the sink, just like Mom’s. I have Febreeze room spray in every bathroom, just like Mom. I only use half and half for my coffee, just like Mom. I fold my towels in thirds, just like Mom.  I could go on and on.  More than just imitating some of the household management stuff, I am grateful for the up close example of my mother loving her home, and using it to bless others, first her husband and her family, but also the church. I want to make my own house a very, very, very fine home just like Mom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are blessed. My mom, poor thing, is a cleanie who raised to messies. I'm trying - but house keeping is not my forte! She comes to my house to ride herd on me and help me get organized... But we have a good relationship at least!

Briana Almengor said...

I must say I could pay the same tribute to my ma (as I affectionately call her) :) I think I'll email her now and thank her. She's caring for my very sick younger sister and driving around my 16 yr. old brother who lost his license due to speeding...Her mothering (at 55) is still not over! Oh, that I would do as well as she has will truly be a feat!

Libby said...

I have greatly benefitted from your mother's example. As a single I spent many evenings in her basement--caregroup, socials, hanging out, laughing, crying, making new friends, building old friendships, and so many other things! I too desire to follow your mom's footsteps, especially in the area of hospitality and care for others! Thank you Mrs. Daryl for your example to all of us--especially those who have been and currently are a part of the singles' ministry!

Danielle said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mom! To echo Briana, I could say the same thing about my mom, who always has made all the houses (and there have been many!) we've lived in a warm, welcoming home. And I agree about the hospitality shown by Mrs. Daryl. As a single I've often frequented her home and I've always been blessed by how freely she opens her home up. Thanks!

Abby Cannon said...

I have had the privilege of benefitting to this gift up close and very personal. :)

Your mom truly opens her home to whoever needs a place to stay. Not only is our family of 4 living there, but so is Jim's mom and sister. I think it should be called the "Cannon Hotel"...from one generation to the next. :) I wonder how many times before 2 different mother in laws have lived under the same roof. It's been wonderful! (God's grace)

We are blessed.