2005/11/16

Wise Words from Avonlea

“Mrs. Allan’s face was not the face of the girl-bride whom the minister had brought to Avonlea five years before. It had lost some of its bloom and youthful curves, and there were fine, patient lines about eyes and mouth. A tiny grave in that very cemetery accounted for some of them; and some new ones had come during the recent illness, now happily over, of her little son. But Mrs. Allan’s dimples were as sweet and sudden as ever, her eyes as clear and bright and true; and what her face lacked of girlish beauty was now more than atoned for in added tenderness and strength.”
-L.M. Montgomery pg. 130 Anne of Avonlea

I just read this the other night and it reminded me of another thing I read in a book by Bryan Chappel (I believe it is his book Holiness by Grace) . I don’t know the exact wording but the idea was this: Trials and suffering both harden us and soften us. They harden us to the pleasures and temptations of the world because we realize how life here must be (and anticipate Heaven where there are no more sorrows). They soften us to be compassionate and loving towards others.

Mrs. Allan is not a real woman, but I know women who through adversity have the added beauty of tenderness and strength. I have had no real trial in life so far, but I know eventually I will. May it not just leave me old, ugly, and bitter. But like women I am privileged to watch up close, may it serve to make me more tender and strong. May it harden and soften me.  

4 comments:

Danielle said...

I just finished "Anne's House of Dreams" a few weekends ago because I thought it was appropriate for the seaon of life I'm in. It was great to reread one of my favorite books I haven't read since I was a young teenager. Now I'm reading the Emily series again, which, I must admit, I love almost more than Anne. This has nothing to do with what you're actually posting about, but I just thought I'd share.

Briana Almengor said...

As a "non-reader" who would like to become a reader, how in the world do ya'll find time to read? I've always been a "doer", a little busy bee around the house. I can't sit still. Ya'll seem rather productive yourselves, so I'm wondering when you read. Are you fast readers? Do you not sleep? (Laurie, I know you're story w/ sleeping)...How do I begin both carving out time and quieting my busy mind long enough to concentrate on a book?

peg said...

Hi Laurie!
Thanks for lending Jason to our church this past weekend! Everyone was very blessed!
I can relate to the hardening and softening of trials just a little bit. Churchplanting is by far the most challenging thing we've ever done, but I hope my spiritual muscles are being strengthened and my heart softened as we climb this challenging mountain!
Also, the loss of my wonderful Dad this year has added a deep appreciation for life and eternal life that I didn't have before.

Danielle said...

Briana, a note about reading. For one, I'm a fast reader, so that helps. Reading is so apart of me that I think I'd have to think conciously about NOT reading in order to stop. Besides the hour my mom used to read "family books" growing up, I've never had much time to "sit down" and read. Spending an evening reading almost never happens. However, I have to say that the past year I've had the most time ever to read, due to the fact I take a bus to work, which means I automatically have reading time. It hasn't always been so, nor will it in the future. I tried to think back and here are a few things I do:
*Books on tape/CD (This has been awesome, but seems to work mostly with fiction for me, because there's a storyline to keep me engaged. I've listened to the whole Lord of the Rings series when I was in college and had no time for "fun" reading and all of the Jan Karon Mitford books, which I highly recommend. You can listen in the car, cooking dinner, or whatever.)
* I read several books at the same time (I usually have a fiction, non-fiction, and "spiritual" book going at once, so if I get bored or weighed down in one book, I can take a break and switch to another.)
*Bathroom (Yes, I know, but it works!)
*Car (I don't get sick when I read in the car, so on longish trips I read or sometimes I read to Josh)
*I always carry a book with me so if I go to the Drs. office, dentist, oil change, I can make the most use of my time.

I hope that helps. Some of these might work for you, some may not. Take it or leave it!